Millstone Organic Mayan Black Onyx Blend

Organic Mayan Black Onyx Blend by Millstone

When you think of Millstone, you think of a coffee with good quality that is sold primarily in grocery stores. To get some, you just go to a local grocer that carries this brand and get your coffee. But is this coffee really GREAT enough for the coffee connoisseur? In this review I will try to answer that question.

With a ten-dollar name, you expect this coffee to be exceptional - well, let's see...

The beans are almost black in color - hence the name - black onyx. Before I ground the coffee, I smelled of the beans, there was an aroma that was somewhat familiar, but one that I could not get a handle on. After grinding some up for my french press (coarse grind), the mystical aroma still had me confounded - what was it? Finally, after I added the hot water to it, and stirred the grind in, I could smell a definite smoky aroma. It was similar to the aroma that you often smell during the early fall or winter, when only a few people are burning wood in their fireplaces - it is there, but not overpowering.

The coffee has a nice, deep flavor that is similar to what you might expect from a good Starbucks or Seattle's Best dark roast. The difference is that this coffee doesn't come on as aggressively, and doesn't stay on your tongue as long as the other two brands do. The finish is very clean and lingers only a little at the back of your tongue.

Unlike some dark roasts, this blend just doesn't overpower your taste buds. Instead, Millstone's roasters have created a good all-around coffee that would work well for a meal, or for just sipping all day long.

If you add a sweetener to your coffee, be careful not to put much in - I recommend you taste and add until you get the desired sweetness - this coffee has very little bitterness to it.

My only complaint about this brew is that there seemed to be a good amount of fines in the bottom of my cup. I guess this is due, in part, to the very dark roast on the beans. This would make the beans more brittle, and would cause you to have more fine ground coffee, even with a burr grinder, which is what I use for all my grinding.

As to whether a coffee lover should get this blend, I will just say I am going back to the store to get some more of this great coffee!

Feel free to comment - let me know what you think.

As always, may your next cup be the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...