OXO SoftWorks LiquiSeal Travel Mug - Review

OXO SoftWorks LiquiSeal Travel Mug - What is Good and What is Bad



In my search for the ideal travel mug, I have tried out several mugs. Each mug I try has its good and bad points, and this one is without exception.

I purchased my LiquiSeal Travel Mug for under $11. I had heard that this was an awesome mug that would keep my coffee hot for hours, and that it had a great sealing system for preventing spills.

On the first point, keeping coffee hot, the mug did not do as well as I had hoped.
See the tables below for details.


Test #1 - mug cold, poured in coffee at 140° Fahrenheit:





Test #2 - mug preheated with hot tap water at 110° warmed for 5 minutes, emptied, then poured in 150° coffee:



It doesn't seem to matter whether you preheat the mug or not, it still loses approximately 20 degrees each hour that the coffee is in the mug. After the second hour you would want to reheat the coffee. This is a problem since the enclosed information sheet says, "Do not place in the microwave." I guess this is to make sure that the sealing mechanism is not damaged.

On the second point of being very spillproof, it excels in this area. It has a push button sealing system that, when closed, keeps it from leaking even with the mug upside down. Being a bit of a klutz, and having kids that bump into everything, this is a must.

The mug holds 12 ounces of liquid and the screw-on lid is easy to put on. This is much nicer than some mugs that are easily cross-threaded.

I did not test the mug on cold liquids, but it is safe to assume it will keep things cold for a while.

The care instructions tell you not to wash the mug in the dishwasher, and to avoid chlorine-based cleaners when you hand-wash it.

I would rate this mug a 7.5 on performance. The facts that you aren't supposed to microwave it, that it only keeps the coffee warm for 2 hours, and having to hand-wash it bring the score down on this one for me.

Still, it is a good mug for the money. If you drink your coffee within 2 hours and don't require the ability to reheat coffee in it, this could be an ideal mug. The fact that is spill-proof is awesome if you ask me.

Next week I will give you a review on another coffee mug - be watching for it. If you have a favorite mug or coffee that you want me to review, let me know by posting a comment on the blog.

As always, may your next cup be the best!

2 comments:

  1. is what the liquiSeal travel mug have a safe innerlining?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lining on this mug is not removable. OXO says you must hand wash - it is not dishwasher safe.

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...